Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Total Time: 1.75 hours
2 cups dry field peas
1 tbs butter
1 diced yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 ham hock
2 cups dry white rice
7 cups of chicken stock
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and black pepper to taste
- 12 hours before you begin, cover field peas with water and seal in container. Allow to soak for at least 8 hours.
- Heat butter in large stock pot. Place ham hock in butter and brown consistently on all sides.
- Add diced yellow onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pot. Cook on medium heat until tender.
- Add 7 cups of stock and 2 cups of field peas to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer for one hour on low heat.
- After one hour add seasonings and rice to pot. Cover.
- Continue to simmer 25-30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Fluff with fork and remove ham hock before serving.