Because of its versatility, this recipe is the starting point to any great cake. Not too dense but strong enough to hold heavy ingredients like chocolate and fruit, these layers are still spongy and delicious and are the real MVP's of the kitchen!
Classic Birthday Cake Layers
Cook Time: 28 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
(all ingredients should be room temperature)
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2/12 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbs vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease two 9inch cake pans
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy in texture.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mixing and then scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- While mixer is on low speed slowly add in the buttermilk and flour mixture, alternating between the two. For example: add 1/2 cup flour, mix. Add 1/4 cup buttermilk, mix...and so on until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide final mixture into two cake rounds and tap on counter to even out batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are slightly browned and toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.